Thursday, January 16, 2014

Futurist Manifesto: Let's Burn Their Shit to the Ground

Like Futurism, New Media holds the relief, excitement, and freedom associated with overlooking millennia of technical assumption in favor of re-imagined art forms. With its base in the Modernist Period, the Futurists realized how much the world was changing around them and found no other option but to change with it- if not more rapidly.

They notably emphasize action (the present) to propel creation (the future).

While I agree with their separation from the traditional academic approach in favor of a more avant grade and experimental art-making, It would be completely opposed to their ideals of upheaval if I did not address my points of contention with something written over a century ago.

I'm in favor of their anti-museum perspective. Though I am anti-museum because of its limiting and capitalist approach. I'm interested in public and participatory art, that's web based and exists outside the realms of very silent and sterile halls that are sometimes sickeningly treated like amusement parks. That being said, art is my religion, and the museum is my church. I will make pilgrimages to relics of my saints because there is something to be said for influence. Contemporary museums are the meeting grounds of my peers and places of inspiration. I believe it is important to acknowledge the past, and transcend it. In saying this, I am very conflicted because the separation of a piece from it's context within time and space can render it still born.

How can we avoid this? Perpetuate new births? New ideas? Create realms that can only exist within one space at one time? All spaces at all times? Collapse space and time?

I aim to think progressively throughout my life, and desire to not think as negatively as the Futurists who sought to be cast out by the future generation. Progressive thinking is not limited to the young, but is perpetuated by those of whom do not feel limited and remain aware.
Throughout life, we gain knowledge and insight that informs our ideas that we can share with others.
I prefer to imagine time (knowledge?) as an accumulation, as opposed to something that becomes more and more limited (in this context).

At what moment does perspective (foresight) become a hindrance to growth from experience?

Finally, I feel that it is impossible to remove beauty from anything. I believe beauty exists in everything and would prefer to remove the psychological standard of beauty derived from an outdated Athenian obsession.

In summation, in the words of an Italian/Anti-Woman/Fascist/Nationalist, I have found a few gems. But choose to burn the rest, as per his request.

-for a 20th century manifesto that I think is less jive and more vibe: Novembergruppe Manifesto
-for a 21st century Futurist appropriation: The Mundane Afro-Futurist Manifesto by Martine Syms


No comments:

Post a Comment