Monday, April 14, 2014

Austin Machine Vison

Everyone missed out on some really cool pieces last Wednesday (and extra credit..). They showed four pieces.
first was a piece called A lecture by Hollis Frampton. It described the basics of what film is while you stare mainly and a white square. She changed the screen to pink and said that pink was actually less appealing to us then white. that white even though it has less is really more cause more can happen to it.
Next they showed Shutter Interface by Paul Sharits which I dont know if I like it more or less then the flicker. It meant to have four projections they said but we only saw it with two. they had two projection with a small overlap as they flew through diffrent colors and mixing in the middle for 24 min. It was hypnotic to me as the speed of each side change never staying constant and the noise of clicking as each one went by just drew me in more.
Next was my least favorite piece Urban Episodes by Steina Vasulka. it was just one of her contraption in citys shooting video. I would prefer to see the contraption then see the video. though some of the effects she used was cool it just didn't really fit with the other pieces we were watching.
Last we watched The Flicker by Tony Conrad. This piece was also hypnotic as you watched the screen go through black and white screens pretty fast for 30 min. They gave us a warning for about 3 min saying a physician should be present and i understood why about half way through as it started to give me a head ac. it was interesting to me when the people next to me moved up and i could see them in the corner of my eye and they flickered in and out of view of the corner of my eye.
overall these pieces show that simple can some times be best and have really cool effects. So you all missed out!

No comments:

Post a Comment